March 3, 2012

Refashion Baby One-Piece Outfit

My little cutie is always outgrowing her one-piece outfits before she gets to wear them very much.  I don't know if she is super long or if they just don't make them very long.  But they usually end up either all "capri style" or I can't even snap them at the bottom.  Both versions are not so cute!  So, I thought I would do a quick and easy fix and turn it into a shirt.  It is super easy sewing for a beginning sewer!
Here is the cute one-piece outfit my friend gave me after her little ones outgrew it.
Here is what I did:
I just held up the outfit to my daughter and marked it where I wanted the bottom of the shirt to be.  Be sure to allow an extra 3/4 to 1 inch for the hem.  Once you have your line marked cut the bottom part off (you can save it to make hair accessories or embellish the shirt with flowers or ruffles later). If you are using a jersey knit (like a t-shirt material) you could just stop there and keep the edges raw.  I wanted mine to look a little more finished so folded a hem and sewed up the bottom. That's it!  Now you have a new cute shirt for your little cutie!
*I also decided to use a double needle to give it a more professional look that lays down nicely.  If you haven't used a double needle you should try it for sewing jersey knits and other fabrics, you will really like the results! This site gives a great tutorial and tips for using the double needle, Make it and Love it!   Give it a try, you won't be sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment